If you’ve been following my on Instagram or have seen the latest video on YouTube, you’ll know that my husband and I would rather have pizza than a fancy restaurant meal any day and that includes our anniversary.
It just so happened our 10 year anniversary coincided with the beginning of shelter-in-place where we live so we were left to our own pizza making skills in 2020. I didn’t have much time to plan and I could only get whatever was available but it worked out!
I will tell you, there is nothing special about this pizza, and nothing that I came up with on my own. This recipe came about because of having to make our own anniversary pizzas and the fact that one of our favorite pizza places around here topped my veggie pizza with fresh arugula. That was first time I’d had pizza like that, and now I absolutely love fresh arugula slightly wilted on top of my pizza.
I’m sure there will be fancier pizza recipes to come, but this is to start it off! Enjoy!
Veggie Flatbread Pizza Topped with Arugula
- 2 Flatbreads, already cooked
- 1 lb. mozzarella, low moisture, part skim, sliced
- 1 jar Pizza sauce, you won’t use the whole jar
- 4 oz can black olives, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, sliced
- small handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls fresh baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The temperature might be different if there are instructions on the flatbread package.
- Place flat breads on baking sheet(s).
- Drizzle the pizza sauce over the flatbread and use the back of a spoon to spread it, leaving some room on the sides.
- Use 3-4 slices of the mozzarella for each flat bread.
- Sprinkle the black olives, red onion, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 10 minutes total. If using two pans, switch halfway through.
- Turn Broiler on and broil on high for 2 minutes until cheese starts to brown.
- Take out of oven and immediately sprinkle fresh arugula on top. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting and eating.
If you haven’t already, check out the video on this that went along with my blog post yesterday about nutrition tips when on vacation.