I thought I’d share a family recipe with all of you! “Easy Wheat Germ Muffins” is the official title, but I’ve made these into an apple cinnamon muffin. But what is wheat germ?
Wheat germ is the reproductive part of wheat that can produce a whole new plant. Because of that, wheat germ is a concentrated source of essential nutrients. Of course on the list of nutrients that it has, it does include gluten. So if you are gluten intolerant and needing to stay away from gluten, wheat germ would be something you’d need to stay away from.
If you are not allergic or gluten-intolerant, then I’d suggest looking up wheat germ. It’s an easy thing to add in for extra nutrients and basically replacing what is stripped away from wheat when it’s processed in a concentrated form.
There is more about wheat germ on my post on another family recipe, “Amelie’s Wheat Germ Pancakes”. And yes… apples are in those too.
Wheat germ has a nutty flavor to them and I guess I just always think of apples, but with this recipe, you can use berries, nuts, etc. or leave them plain. Up to you. For me, I’m not a huge sweet person, but I love baked goods. So this muffin is a delicious nutty flavored baked muffin that’s slightly sweet.
Oh! And I almost forgot – because I always do – if you buy wheat germ, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator after it’s open. Although it’s a flour, it needs to be stored in the fridge. I always forget this. I got a few cups from my mom who had just bought some. She put it in a zip lock bag and in big letters said, “STORE IN FRIDGE”. I still forgot. It contains unsaturated fats, which can become rancid. It has a shelf life of a year if it is stored properly. The way to tell, if you forget to store it in the fridge like me, is that fresh wheat germ has a slight nutty smell, similar to toasted nuts. Not sour.
You could bump up the sweetness with adding a streusel topping, but I don’t think these guys need it. So let’s get to the recipe, but first… don’t ya’ll love this melted butter shot I got?! I’m so proud!
WARNING: Your house will smell like baked cinnamon apple muffins and you will have to slap hands away from people trying to eat them before you can take a picture!
Honeycrisp Wheat Germ Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 1/3 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped honeycrisp apple
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare muffin tin with liners or grease with small amount of vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: all purpose flour, wheat germ, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg until well beaten. Add to the large bowl with dry ingredients.
- Add in almond milk to large bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
- Add in the apples and cinnamon, or any other add-ins, and fold into the mixture.
- Fill in large muffin tin about 1/4 cup each.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let rest for about 5 minutes before devouring.