So a little history about this recipe… The original-original inspiration was a recipe from a blog called The Salty Tomato. It was a Avocado Key Lime pie with the traditional graham cracker crust. Dairy free and delicious! I had made it years ago.
Since then I had made my own rendition of it as single serving size “pies” with a pecan and date crust. Dairy free, gluten free, and delicious! This different take on the recipe was my Frozen Avocado Key Lime Pies. Aren’t they cute?!
This year I have been loving my popsicle molds I bought and have been making popsicles at least once a month. Here are my other popsicles I’ve made so far in 2020…
So now my next popsicle that I’m making will be the next rendition of the Avocado Key Lime recipe. Now – I’ve made this recipe with key lime juice, and also straight lime juice when I couldn’t find key lime juice. The key lime juice will have a milder and sweeter taste. However, regular lime juice will work, but know it will be more tart.
Additionally, I decided to try out a coating of toasted coconut shreds and crushed graham crackers. Depending on your diet and your likes and dislikes, this does not make or break this recipe. Use the coating or not, this recipe is still delicious! Have fun with it! Hope you are all having a great summer!
Avocado Key Lime Popsicles with Toasted Coconut and Graham Crackers
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (you can use lime juice but it will be more tart/sour)
- 1/4 cup dark agave
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup coconut shreds
- 1 sheet graham crackers
- In a blender, toss the avocado flesh of 2 avocados, key lime juice, dark agave, and coconut oil. Blend until smooth. Pour into bowl.
- Stir in the lime zest so there are flakes of the zest throughout the mixture.
- Pour into popsicles molds and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, you can get the coating ready. Put one graham cracker in a ziplock bag and pound of roll over with a rolling pin until it is crumbs. In a small skillet, heat over medium heat and add the coconut shreds. Continuously toss. When the shreds start to brown it will not take long. Keep tossing until all shreds are golden. Turn off heat, add to small bowl. Mix in graham cracker crumbs.
- When the popsicles are frozen, take out of the freezer and let defrost 1-2 minutes. Take out of molds and coat with the coconut/crumb mixture. Put on or in container and put back in the freezer for a few minutes to refreeze before serving.