I don’t know about you, but I’m not a fan of soggy creamy coleslaw. I’m picky about my cabbage since I’m not personally a huge fan. A light crisp coleslaw, especially with cilantro, yum! And of course, I have to make it pretty. If I can buy the purple cabbage and use that instead of the everyday green cabbage, it just makes it that much more appealing and fun! To me it seems to be a little more richer and earthier in flavor than your regular green head of cabbage.
Some of the numbers between the two are pretty interesting
- Red cabbage has 85% of the daily vitamin C, while green cabbage only has 47%.
- Red cabbage contains 10% more vitamin A than green.
- Red cabbage has double the amount of iron than green cabbage.
- And with any fruit or vegetable – the deeper the color, the more antioxidants. Red cabbage is higher in antioxidants than green!
Green cabbage is still a healthy choice, but red definitely has it’s benefits too! I say go for the deeper flavor and color anytime you can.
- High in Vitamin C
- High in Vitamin K for Bone Health
- High in Antioxidants
I’ve used this recipe as a side dish or as a topping on shrimp tacos. For my tacos I marinated chopped hearts of palm in spices and toasted them on the skillet instead of the shrimp. Whatever you want to use this with, it’s light and adds a crunch! No sogginess here.
Mexican Purple Coleslaw
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp agave or honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp or more chipotle chili powder, optional for spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix together the shredded cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and garlic in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the orange juice, lime juice, agave or honey, cumin, and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Combine the vegetables and the dressing. Add salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately. Or put in fridge for a few hours to get cold before serving.
59 calories | 2.5 g fat | < 0.5 g polyunsaturated | 1.7 g monounsaturated | < 0.5 g saturated | 0 g trans | 0 mg cholesterol | 27 mg sodium | 9.4 g carbohydrates | 1.7 g fiber | 5.3 g sugar | 1 g protein | 159% Vitamin A | 47% Vitamin C | 30% Vitamin K