The hummus craze is still going strong I know, but why not change it up and give other beans a chance to be a delicious dip too? I’ll be honest, I’m picky about my hummus. There are some that leave a weird aftertaste, and other that are loaded up excess oil. That’s when I started to “dip” into different beans that are healthy, delicious, and low fat that are a good change of pace. Here’s a dip featuring one of my favorite beans, black beans!
1 Cup Cooked Black Beans
- 14.5 g Protein
- 0.7 g Fat
- 40 g Carbohydrates
- 16.6 g Fiber | Weight Management & Intestinal Health + Healthy Cholesterol Levels
- 28% Daily Value (DV) Iron | Healthier Blood
- 27% DV Magnesium | Healthy Bones
- 16% DV Potassium | Healthy Blood Pressure
- 16% DV Zinc | Healthy Immune System
- 36% DV Folate | Healthy Reproduction of Cells
Don’t you love it when you find out a favorite food can be considered a super food?!
For this dip I decided to keep with a Mexican flavoring and to make it creamy, instead of adding oil or anything that is high in fat, I use unsweetened low-fat or fat-free yogurt. Any kind will do whether it’s made with animal milk or plant-based milks, as long as it’s low fat/fat free and unsweetened, it will work just fine!
Eat with your favorite raw veggies, chips, crackers, or use as a spread on a sandwich or wrap, or keep it as a taco filling. I’m sure you’ll find a way to finish off this bowl of dip. Now on to the recipe!
Black Bean & Yogurt Dip
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained OR 1 3/4 cup cooked black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup unsweetened low fat or fat free yogurt, I use Kite Hill’s plain almond milk yogurt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt and Pepper, if desired
- In a blender add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Serve cold or warmed in a bowl with your favorite veggies, crackers, corn chips, pretzels, etc for dipping. Or save as a taco filling, inside quesadillas, spread for sandwiches or wraps.
76 calories | 1.71 g total fat | 0.6 g polyunsaturated fat | 0.3 g monounsaturated fat | 0.5 g saturated fat | 0-2 mg cholesterol | 28 mg sodium (if no salt is added) | 13.6 g carbohydrates | 4.2 g fiber | 4.1 g sugar | 8 g protein | 15% Vitamin C | 34% Vitamin A | 15% Calcium | 12% Magnesium | 17% Iron | 10% Zinc