Stewed tomatoes and green beans just go together. This is one of the side dishes I keep in mind any time of year and can go with just about anything. Simple ingredients, simple instructions, and so good! Nutritionally let’s look at the benefits of using fresh oregano. Sometimes we forget how powerful our fresh herbs are and what they bring to the table other than flavor. Fresh herbs are powerhouses of nutrients and antioxidants which is nice since we usually use a small amount of them when we cook. Here are some interesting facts about oregano, as well as many other herbs in general.
- Powerhouse of Antioxidants – 42 times the antioxidants found in apples
- Improves Immune System
- Significant of Crucial Minerals for Bone Health
Dried herbs have their purpose in cooking, but to get the full benefit it’s always good to use fresh herbs when you can.
Green Beans & Tomatoes with Fresh Oregano
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, ends snapped
- 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a medium pan on medium-high heat. If you are using a non-stick pot, you can put the heat on medium and cook the onions without oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Toss in the green beans, tomatoes, broth, oregano, and parsley. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the green beans are at the desired tenderness. I usually wait until the green beans are a dark rich green color, like the picture, and turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired. Add lemon juice and serve immediately.
123 calories | 7.3 g fat | 0.9 g polyunsaturated fat | 4.9 g monounsaturated fat | 1 g saturated fat | 0 g trans fats | 0 mg cholesterol | 240 mg sodium | 14.4 g carbohydrates | 5.4 g fiber | 7.4 g total sugar | 3.2 g protein | 57% Vitamin A | 41% Vitamin C | 45% Vitamin K | 9% Calcium | 14% Magnesium | 11% Iron | 10% Potassium