I had to share with you one of my favorite gravy recipes from Chloe Coscarelli. She is a vegan chef and I have used her first recipe book, Chloe’s Kitchen, front to back. This is her Golden Gravy recipe and I wanted to share it with you for a few reasons. Yes, this is a plant-based recipe for gravy but that’s not why I’m sharing it. Compared to your average beef/turkey broth version with flour and butter, this version gives some nutritional value without sacrificing any flavor.
- Less sodium
- Less fat
- High in B Vitamins
- High in Fiber
- Gives us 30% of the daily Omega 3s
Something I’ve learned – taking pictures of gravy is not as easy as it looks!
Chloe Coscarelli's Golden Gravy
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion until soft. Add nutritional yeast and flour, and stir for about 1 minute. Add water, soy sauce, thyme and garlic powder. Continue to cook, whisking continuously, until mixture is very thick. Transfer gravy to a blender and purée until smooth. Adjust seasonings, and add salt and pepper to taste.
117 calories | 5 g fat | 1.3 g polyunsaturated fat | 3 g monounsaturated fat | <0.5 g saturated fat | 0 trans fats | 0 mg cholesterol | 614 mg sodium | 13.5 g carbohydrates | 1.6 g fiber | 1.3 g sugar | 5 g protein | >100% folate, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), and niacin (B3)
Soy Free Version
Because of my allergy to soy, instead of soy sauce I’ve substituted Worcestershire sauce instead. Chef Chloe also has a Soy-Free Soy Sauce that I’ve made before to use in this recipe.
Chloe Coscarelli's Soy-Free Soy Sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pinch garlic powder
- Pinch ground ginger
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow to lightly boil for 5 minutes. Allow to cool then store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.